Wednesday 11 January 2012

Pinhole Christmas Cards

First step for a homemade Christmas: homemade Christmas cards!

I saw this on pinterest and I thought to myself, "I can do that" but I'm not a huge fan of hearts, and it was November, so I 'Christmassed' it up a little bit. 

  • All you need are some blank cards, some templates, a pin, a sweater and a cutting board. 
  • Wrap the sweater around the cutting board, otherwise your pin holes come out really tiny (but I suppose you could add that into the design) and it's a lot more work. I used an old sweater just in case, but it wasn't harmed at all. I also tried using a cardboard box, but it just kept collapsing on me. 
  • Place the template over a blank card or two. I found that pushing the pin through more than 3 cards (or 2 cards and the template) made my hand cramp up quite quickly.
  • Then just simply make holes in the card. Following the template, put holes closer together for "darker" parts and farther apart for "lighter" parts. For me, that was a lot more difficult than it sounds, but everyone knows I have limited spatial awareness.




The finished product:
I wrote a short Christmas message in the white space in red and green pens and that was that! A bit time-consuming but for me it's worth it when the cards were opened and I got to hear, "Oh, wow, did you make these?"

No comments:

Post a Comment