Tuesday 17 January 2012

I'm nuts about you

While searching for ideas for Christmas presents for my family, I came across this: a gold and silver plated keyring made with an eye-bolt and nuts that comes in a nice little gift box labelled "I'm nuts about you". How sweet and sappy! Two problems: first, it wasn't homemade; second, inside his pocket, rubbing against the keys, that gold and silver plating isn't going to last too long. So I decided to make my own, only a little more colourful. And as it's our first Christmas together, I also put together a matching photo frame. Altogether, the photo frame and the keychain cost only slightly more than if I had just bought the gold and silver-plated keychain!

I painted the bolt and all the nuts with Tamiya acrylic paints, which I picked up for less than £2 each. I picked all the 'clear' colours they had available: blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. They were brilliant!



The photo frame I got from a charity shop, and the glue I used was UHU and it worked great.
I know it's super sappy to actually put the phrase on the frame, but in this relationship, I don't tend to be the sappy one, so I knew my husband would appreciate it.


Here's it all finished and wrapped under the Christmas tree:



The key chain was meant to be in the little black box, but the orignal box got crushed in my suitcase, and the one I replaced it with was too small. Also in the black box is a poem I wrote.

I know the paint will rub off the keychain just as much (if not more) than the gold and silver plating, but it just so happens that while I don't have any gold or silver laying around to re-plate it, I do happen to have 5 little jars of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment